• Energy Subsidy Schemes

    Applicants who hold an appropriate concession card may be eligible for a subsidy to assist with their electricity costs.


    Energy Concession Extension Scheme

    as from 1 December 2015 - includes long-stay residents of caravan parks

    The Energy Concession Extension Scheme (ECES) provides annual payments to assist eligible people to meet their energy consumption costs in certain circumstances. ECES extends to people living in retirement villages, apartment buildings and caravan parks where the electricity costs are recouped from the tenants by the owner (e.g. strata entity, retirement village management or caravan park management) because the owner is billed directly by Synergy or Horizon Power on behalf of the residential complex.

    The concessions also apply to households that receive electricity charges direct from a retailer other than Synergy or Horizon Power (e.g. from retailers such as Perth Energy or Alinta Sales).

    The extended concessions include:

    • Energy Assistance Payment (EAP)
    • Dependent Child Rebate (DCR)
    • Air Conditioning Rebate (ACR)

    Additional information can be found in the Energy Concession Extension Scheme Fact Sheet.

    A checklist is available as a guide to ensure that you have all the required information ready before commencing the application process.

    Direct Billing

    If you are directly billed by Synergy or Horizon Power, please contact that retailer to discuss your eligibility.

    Back to top

    ECES Payment Rates

    Energy Assistance Payment

    The payment is made by electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly into the bank account nominated on the application form (Note: this must be an Australian cheque or savings account). 

    Energy Assistance Payment 2018/19 claim year $300



    Dependent Child Rebate

    The payment is calculated according to the number of dependent children listed on your eligible concession card. 

    Dependent Child Rebate 2018/19 claim year 1 child: $315
    Each additional child: $82




    Air Conditioning Rebate

    The payment is to subsidise the cost of operating an air conditioner for eligible households located in areas of high heat discomfort. Areas of high heat discomfort have been identified as locations north of the 26th Parallel of South Latitude and/or north of the 50-day Relative Strain Index line. The total value of the rebate varies depending on the residential location of eligible households, and will be calculated at the time of application. The rebate amount is multiplied by the number of eligible months for that residential location.

    Air Conditioning Rebate 2018/19 claim year $58.72 per month


    Back to top

    How to apply

    Before you apply for a concession, please read the application checklist to ensure that you have all the required information.

    Use our online application form to apply or renew an existing application.


    The Office of State Revenue requires the applicant’s authorisation to confirm the status of their concession card with Centrelink, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the Department for Communities. In addition, the applicant may need to provide authorisation to confirm energy usage and supply at their residential address.

    The Office of State Revenue has the right to decline an application in situations where, in the Commissioner’s reasonable opinion, false or misleading information has been provided or the eligibility criteria has not been met.

    Back to top

    Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy Scheme

    This subsidy is available to compensate eligible people for the electricity costs of operating life support equipment at home who are:

    • dependent on specified life support equipment used in their homes under specialist medical advice; and
    • holders of concession cards that are means tested.

    Specified life support equipment

      Oxygen Concentrator - Adult - standard capacity
      Oxygen Concentrator - Adult - high capacity ‘New Life Intensity’
      Oxygen Concentrator - Child
      Feeding Pump    
      Suction Pump    
      Apnoea Monitor - Child only
      Heart Pump    
      Nebuliser - Adult - only when a tracheostomy is expected to be in place for more than 6 months and nebulised therapy is required for life support purposes
      Nebuliser - Child - only when used every day for 1-2 hours per day
      Machine Assisted Peritoneal Dialysis Equipment    
      Ventilator - VPAP or BPAP Machines
      CPAP Machine - Adult - only when clinically prescribed for adults with obesity hypoventilation syndrome, tracheomalacia, obstructive sleep apnoea with sleep hypoventilation, or other life threatening disease as determined by a specialist with usage over four hours per night
      CPAP Machine - Child - only when prescribed for severe obstructive sleep apnoea, tracheomalacia or other life threatening disease as determined by the treating specialist
    Means tested concession cards
    - Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs)
    - Health Care Card (not including the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card)
    - Health Care Interim Voucher

    How to apply

    To apply for a subsidy complete the Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy Application Form.

    For more information refer to Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy Fact Sheet.

    Back to top

    Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme

    This subsidy helps offset the energy costs associated with temperature control at the home of eligible people or their dependents with a thermoregulatory dysfunction.

    The subsidy is intended for people who hold means tested concession cards, (or the dependents of people who hold means tested concession cards) and who require heating and/or cooling to control the temperature in their homes under specialist medical advice.

    The qualifying criteria have been updated to reflect current medical opinion and people with previously accepted conditions may no longer be eligible for the subsidy.

    To qualify for a subsidy, the patient must satisfy at least two of the following three qualifying criteria and be certified by a treating doctor who has been treating them for at least three months:

    1. A medical condition with an evidence-based association with the deterioration of this condition in temperature extremes. For example, severe cases of spinal cord injury, stroke, brain injury, neurodegenerative disorders, multiple sclerosis and familial disautonomia (a genetic disorder affecting individuals’ automatic (involuntary) bodily responses, including sweating).
    2. Loss of skin integrity or loss of sweating capacity. For example, significant burns of greater than 20 percent of body surface area, severe inflammatory skin conditions and some rare forms of disordered sweating.
    3. Objective reduction of autonomic regulation and physiological functioning at extremes of environmental temperatures (excessive sweating, heart rate increases or changes in blood pressure) resulting in dehydration, dizziness or fainting.

    How to apply

    An applicant may be either:

    • a patient, who requires heating and/or cooling for their own use; or
    • a guardian or primary caregiver of a person who uses the energy for heating and/or cooling in their home.

    The applicant must hold one of the following concession cards:

    • Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs)
    • Health Care Card
    • Health Care Interim Voucher

    To apply complete the Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme Application Form.

    For more information refer to Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme Fact Sheet.

    Back to top