• Buying property or land

    If you are buying property or land this page will help you find information about your state taxation obligations and entitlements.

    Transfer duty

    Transfer duty must be paid for you to be registered as the owner of the Certificate of Title for the property with Landgate.

    Our Duties calculator can assist you in estimating the amount of transfer duty payable.

    If you are purchasing residential property you may be eligible for the residential rate of transfer duty

    For more information go to the Transfer Duty pages.

    Land tax

    Land tax is an annual tax which applies to all properties in Western Australia, however there are tax-free thresholds and exemptions which exclude a number of properties from the tax. Generally, properties that are lived in by the owner as their principal place of residence are exempt from land tax.

    Our Land Tax calculator can assist you in calculating your land tax liability.

    For more information go to the Land Tax pages.

    First Home Owner Grant and First Home Owner Rate of Duty

    The Office of State Revenue administers the first home owner grant scheme for first home buyers if they are either purchasing an established home or building or purchasing a new home.  You may be eligible for a first home owner grant and/or the first home owner rate of duty.

    For more information go to the First Home Owner Grant and Rate of Duty pages.