Department of Finance

Energy Subsidy Schemes

Banner - We are moving

Find us on

Applicants who hold an appropriate concession card may be eligible for a subsidy to assist with their electricity costs.


Energy Concession Extension Scheme

Energy concessions are payments to assist people to meet their energy consumption costs in certain circumstances. Generally, energy concessions are administered through an electricity bill. Customers not billed directly through Synergy or Horizon Power, will have their concession administered through the Energy Concession Extension Scheme (ECES).

ECES applies to people living in retirement villages, apartment buildings and caravan parks (as a long-stay resident) where the electricity costs are recouped from the tenants by the owner (e.g. strata entity, retirement village management or caravan park management) because the owner is billed directly by Synergy or Horizon Power on behalf of the residential complex.

The concessions also apply to households that receive electricity charges direct from a retailer other than Synergy or Horizon Power (e.g. from retailers such as Perth Energy or Alinta Sales).

The extended concessions include:

  • Energy Assistance Payment (EAP)
  • Dependent Child Rebate (DCR)
  • Air Conditioning Rebate (ACR)

Additional information can be found in the Energy Concession Extension Scheme Fact Sheet.

A checklist is available as a guide to ensure that you have all the required information ready before commencing the application process.

Direct Billing

If you are directly billed by Synergy or Horizon Power, please contact that retailer to discuss your eligibility.

Back to top

ECES Payment Rates

Energy Assistance Payment

The payment is made by electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly into the bank account nominated on the application form (Note: this must be an Australian cheque or savings account). 

Energy Assistance Payment 2019/20 claim year $305



Dependent Child Rebate

The payment is calculated according to the number of dependent children listed on your eligible concession card. 

Dependent Child Rebate 2019/20 claim year 1 child: $320
Each additional child: $84




Air Conditioning Rebate

The payment is to subsidise the cost of operating an air conditioner for eligible households located in areas of high heat discomfort. Areas of high heat discomfort have been identified as locations north of the 26th Parallel of South Latitude and/or north of the 50-day Relative Strain Index line. The total value of the rebate varies depending on the residential location of eligible households, and will be calculated at the time of application. The rebate amount is multiplied by the number of eligible months for that residential location.

Air Conditioning Rebate 2019/20 claim year $59.75 per month


Back to top

How to apply

Before you apply for a concession, please read the application checklist to ensure that you have all the required information.

Use our online application form to apply or renew an existing application.


The Office of State Revenue requires the applicant’s authorisation to confirm the status of their concession card with Centrelink, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the Department for Communities. In addition, the applicant may need to provide authorisation to confirm energy usage and supply at their residential address.

The Office of State Revenue has the right to decline an application in situations where, in the Commissioner’s reasonable opinion, false or misleading information has been provided or the eligibility criteria has not been met.

Back to top

Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy Scheme

This subsidy is available to compensate eligible people for the electricity costs of operating life support equipment at home who are:

  • dependent on specified life support equipment used in their homes under specialist medical advice; and
  • holders of concession cards that are means tested.

Specified life support equipment

  Oxygen Concentrator - Adult - standard capacity
  Oxygen Concentrator - Adult - high capacity ‘New Life Intensity’
  Oxygen Concentrator - Child
  Feeding Pump    
  Suction Pump    
  Apnoea Monitor - Child only
  Heart Pump    
  Nebuliser - Adult - only when a tracheostomy is expected to be in place for more than 6 months and nebulised therapy is required for life support purposes
  Nebuliser - Child - only when used every day for 1-2 hours per day
  Machine Assisted Peritoneal Dialysis Equipment    
  Ventilator - VPAP or BPAP Machines
  CPAP Machine - Adult - only when clinically prescribed for adults with obesity hypoventilation syndrome, tracheomalacia, obstructive sleep apnoea with sleep hypoventilation, or other life threatening disease as determined by a specialist with usage over four hours per night
  CPAP Machine - Child - only when prescribed for severe obstructive sleep apnoea, tracheomalacia or other life threatening disease as determined by the treating specialist
Means tested concession cards
- Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs)
- Health Care Card (not including the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card)
- Health Care Interim Voucher

How to apply

To apply for a subsidy complete the Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy Application Form.

For more information refer to Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy Fact Sheet.

Back to top

Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme

This subsidy helps offset the energy costs associated with temperature control at the home of eligible people or their dependents with a thermoregulatory dysfunction.

The subsidy is intended for people who hold means tested concession cards, (or the dependents of people who hold means tested concession cards) and who require heating and/or cooling to control the temperature in their homes under specialist medical advice.

The qualifying criteria have been updated to reflect current medical opinion and people with previously accepted conditions may no longer be eligible for the subsidy.

To qualify for a subsidy, the patient must satisfy at least two of the following three qualifying criteria and be certified by a treating doctor who has been treating them for at least three months:

  1. A medical condition with an evidence-based association with the deterioration of this condition in temperature extremes. For example, severe cases of spinal cord injury, stroke, brain injury, neurodegenerative disorders, multiple sclerosis and familial disautonomia (a genetic disorder affecting individuals’ automatic (involuntary) bodily responses, including sweating).
  2. Loss of skin integrity or loss of sweating capacity. For example, significant burns of greater than 20 percent of body surface area, severe inflammatory skin conditions and some rare forms of disordered sweating.
  3. Objective reduction of autonomic regulation and physiological functioning at extremes of environmental temperatures (excessive sweating, heart rate increases or changes in blood pressure) resulting in dehydration, dizziness or fainting.

How to apply

An applicant may be either:

  • a patient, who requires heating and/or cooling for their own use; or
  • a guardian or primary caregiver of a person who uses the energy for heating and/or cooling in their home.

The applicant must hold one of the following concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs)
  • Health Care Card
  • Health Care Interim Voucher

To apply complete the Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme Application Form.

For more information refer to Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme Fact Sheet.

Back to top


All contents © Copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.