Gordon Stephenson House
Gordon Stephenson House at 140 William Street, Perth, was officially named by Finance Minister Simon O’Brien on 28 August 2011.
The building is on the corner of William Street and the Murray Street Mall, directly above the new Perth city underground train station. It has three office towers ranging from 6 to 19 storeys with two basement car parking levels. Two retail levels offer 6,500 square metres of commercial space while the remaining office space of 35,500 square metres has been leased by the State Government.
The office space is now home to over 2000 public servants from 9 agencies, and is a major part of the city’s central government office precinct that includes Albert Facey House and the neighbouring heritage buildings - the Bairds Building, the Globe and Wellington Buildings. A reconfigured laneway leads from Gordon Stephenson House between Albert Facey House and the grand old Post Office building to the revitalised Forrest Place, providing further connectivity to the precinct.
Agencies in Gordon Stephenson House include the Small Business Development Corporation and the departments of Planning; Transport; Local Government; Regional Development and Lands; Communities; Culture and the Arts; Treasury; and Finance.
The leasing of the building’s office space is part of the Government Office Accommodation Master Plan that aims for ongoing cost savings through consolidating accommodation into a smaller number of central buildings while moving other agencies away from the city to metropolitan centres.
The 5 Star Green Star rated office building sets new standards in Government office accommodation with an open plan layout that accommodates a diversity of tasks and promotes sustainability principles.
Gordon Stephenson House meets the standard for Australian Excellence for sustainable design using the Green Building Council Australia’s Green Star rating system. The building’s sustainability features include:
a grey water treatment plant
a high proportion of fresh air fed through the office space
winter gardens that can be accessed from various office floors
floor plate configuration to maximise natural day light
external views to the external environment
natural shading of the building created by the differing heights of the three towers.
The fit-out design for the Government Agency tenants is registered with the Green Building Council Australia to be rated against Green Star’s Office Interiors v1.1. The design is aiming to achieve a 5 Star rating. A 4.5 Star National Australian Built Environment Rating System (NABERS) Base Building Energy rating is also being targeted.
The building makes efficient use of shared facilities for all tenants, including video conferencing, training, meeting and function facilities. Further efficiencies are gained from a common standard telephone and computer network.
The bright and friendly open plan layout of Gordon Stephenson House encourages departmental and team interaction in flexible workspaces that are intuitive to use and easy to reconfigure.
Designed by Architects Hassell and constructed by Probuild Constructions, Gordon Stephenson House is owned by CBus Property and was built between 2007 and 2010.
The building was the standout performer in the 2011 WA Architects Awards, winning the major prize, the George Temple Poole Award, and several other awards for Hassell Architects.
The awards jury praised 140 William as “one of Perth’s most significant and influential new buildings, enlivening the city’s retail centre and setting a benchmark in environmental sustainability”.
It went on to win the 2011 national Australian Institute of Architects Walter Burley Griffin Award for Urban Design. According to the awards jury, the building 'essentially transformed this city block into a city fabric.'
Professor Gordon Stephenson
The building is named after urban planner Professor Gordon Stephenson, who made a profound contribution to the planning and development of the city of Perth.
Professor Stephenson was born in Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 1908, graduating as an architect from the University of Liverpool in 1930. He came to Perth in 1953 following a commission from the W.A. Government to prepare a plan for the metropolitan region of Perth and Fremantle with J.A. Hepburn. The resulting report, Plan for the metropolitan region, Perth and Fremantle, Western Australia, 1955: a report prepared for the Government of Western Australia, was also known as the Stephenson-Hepburn Report.
After four years in Toronto, Canada, Professor Stephenson returned to Perth in 1960 with his wife Flora and their three daughters to become professorial consultant architect to the University of Western Australia, later becoming inaugural Dean of the Faculty of Architecture in 1966.
He later served on the National Capital Development Committee and was a partner in the site plan for Murdoch University. He delivered a number of major planning reports in the 1970s and was awarded a CBE in 1967 and honorary doctorates from four Australian universities.
Professor Stephenson died in 1997.