• The Office of State Revenue website has recently been updated. This page is scheduled to be archived and may not contain the most current information. Please locate the information you are seeking from the State Revenue homepage.

    Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme

    This scheme provides a subsidy to help offset the energy costs associated with temperature control at their home for financially disadvantaged people or their dependents with thermoregulatory dysfunction. It began in January 2007.

    The subsidy is intended for people who hold means tested concession cards, (or the dependents of people who hold means tested concession cards) and who require heating and/or cooling to control the temperature in their homes under specialist medical advice. 

    In order to qualify for the Thermoregulatory Dysfunction subsidy, the patient must:

    • Be certified by a treating doctor who has been treating the patient for at least three months; and
    • Be assessed as meeting one of the four primary qualifying conditions; and
    • Be assessed as meeting one of the three secondary qualifying conditions.

    Primary Qualifying Conditions

    • Autonomic system dysfunction.  (Medical conditions in which the autonomic system has been damaged e.g. severe spinal cord injury, stroke, brain injury and neurodegenerative disorders)
    • Loss of skin integrity or loss of sweating capacity.  (e.g. significant burns greater than 20%, severe inflammatory skin conditions and some rare forms of disordered sweating)
    • Objective reduction of physiological functioning at extremes of environmental temperatures.  (e.g. advanced multiple sclerosis)
    • Hypersensitivity to extremes of environmental temperature leading to increased pain or other discomfort or an increased risk of complications.  (e.g. complex regional pain syndrome and advanced peripheral vascular disease)

    Secondary Qualifying Criteria

    • Severe immobility (e.g. such as occurs with quadriplegia or the loss of three limbs)
    • Demonstrated significant loss of autonomic regulation of sweating, heart rate or blood pressure
    • Demonstrated loss of physiological function or significant aggravation of clinical condition at extremes of environmental temperature

    An applicant for the subsidy may be either:

    The patient, who requires heating and/or cooling for their own use; OR

    The guardian or primary caregiver of a person who utilises the energy for heating and/or cooling in their home.

    However, the applicant must hold one of the following:

    • Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs)
    • Health Care Card
    • Health Care Interim Voucher.

    Fact Sheet and Application Form

    Contacts for more information about the Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme:

    Mail In Person      

    Office of State Revenue
    GPO Box T1600
    PERTH  WA   6845

    Plaza Level
    200 St George's Terrace
    (8:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday)



    08 9262 1373